Turnitin have just announced a few subtle enhancements to their tools. The most useful for Aston are listed below;
What is reduced sensitivity for student paper matches?
In order to reduce noisy matches in the Originality Report (spurious, short matches that instructors don’t care about/ that don’t mean anything), we have raised the minimum number of words in a student paper match, added a requirement for the minimum number of non-frequently used words in a match, and lowered the amount of non-matching words that can be included in a match, the overall effect is to reduce the number of small or inconsequential matches to papers in the student paper database. This will also allow matches to primary sources like the internet and publications to rise to surface of the Originality Report source list (a common request amongst instructors).
What changes were made to the instructor inbox?
A number of small changes were made to the instructor inbox besides the addition of the “Response” column for the student GradeMark view indicator. These changes include the addition of on-hover help text for each of the column headers, expanded space for clicking on a column header to sort the inbox, a change to the GradeMark and Originality Report column headers, a change to the GradeMark icon, and a change to the downloadable file icon.
Instructor inbox Changes:
- Hovering on a column header will display help text regarding the contents of that column
- Clicking anywhere in a column header will sort the inbox according to the contents of that column (clicking again will reverse the sorting)
- The column header for the Originality Report column has been changed from “Report” to “Similarity”
- The column header for the GradeMark column has been changed from “GradeMark” to “Grade”
- The GradeMark icon has been changed from a comment bubble and a grade or “–” (for ungraded papers) to a pencil (for ungraded papers) or the grade. Hovering on the pencil will show a message that the paper has not yet been graded
- The downloadable file icon has been changed to a blue outline of a paper
Student Engagement: Student GradeMark view indicator
What is student GradeMark view indicator?
The student GradeMark view indicator is a feature that displays an indicator in the instructor inbox when the student has viewed the GradeMark for their paper for 30 seconds or more in one session (one viewing). If the student has viewed the paper for 30+ seconds a image of a little person with a check will appear in the new “Response” column of the instructor inbox. Hovering on the icon will display a message that the student has viewed the paper and when the latest 30+ second viewing took place. If the student has not viewed the GradeMark for the paper for 30+ seconds, a dot will appear in the “Response” column of the instructor inbox. Hovering on the dot will display a message stating that the student has not viewed the paper. The reason the student must have GradeMark open for 30+ seconds is to help ensure the student did not just open GradeMark view the grade and then close GradeMark.